Back pain is an extremely common condition with 85% of the population prompted to seek treatment for it at some stage in life.
The causes of back pain are many and varied but include:-
- Heavy manual tasks – lifting, pushing and pulling
- Repetitive and awkward tasks
- Prolonged above shoulder-height work
- Postural factors, particularly prolonged and slump sitting.
There are many sensitive structures in your back, each capable of causing pain. Painful spinal problems include:-
- Joint strains – spinal joints and rib attachments
- Muscle tightness and spasm
- Ligament strains
- Spinal disc irritation and prolapse
- Poor core stability (weakness of the spinal stabilizing muscles)
- Sacro-iliac joint (SIJ) problems
- Nerve root involvement (results in referred pain)
Correct diagnosis is paramount in order to determine which structures are responsible for the pain and, therefore, what treatment is most appropriate. At your first treatment we will determine the cause of your pain, clearly explain the treatment required and advise as to how you can hasten your recovery and minimize recurrence.
Our treatments for spinal pain include:-
- Mobilizations and mobilizations with movement to reduce stiffness and restore correct joint motion.
- Soft tissue massage, trigger point therapy, dry needling and muscle releases to relieve pain and improve flexibility and blood flow to the tissues.
- Core stability programmes to improve muscular support and protection for the spine. This is integral to minimizing recurrence of your pain.
- Manual handling advice and training to ensure correct performance of all manual tasks (lifting, pushing and pulling).
- Education as to which factors promote spinal pain and which relieve. This will help prevent recurrence of your pain.